I owned for a while, a rifle that had belonged to Colonel Askins. It was a model 70 converted to left hand and chambered in 308 Norma Mag. It was a beautiful rifle, outstanding workmanship, exhibition grade fiddleback maple and crisp, fine checkering. It really was a nice rifle. But it fit me horribly. I found it too heavy and bulky in the stock and the dimensions were off enough that it wasn't a comfortable gun for me to shoot.

I enjoyed having owned a piece with some verifiable history. Ultimately it wasn't a gun I was going to hunt or use so I sold it through Julia Auctions. And did quite well on it. Someone else can now enjoy owning a piece of firearms history. I did take it on one moose camping trip. It sure wasn't much of a moose hunting trip. Not one to be found.

Having some documented history, tying the gun to someone with impact on the firearms industry, has a value that can make a rifle worth more to some folks. That's okay. There are guns out there I'd gladly pay a premium for because they belonged to someone who mentored me through their articles and stories. I might not be able to pay the premium for them but that wouldn't make me desire them any less. Keith's revolvers and rifles are a good example. Though they are well beyond my reach, they are part of 20th century firearms history and I'd happily own one if I could afford it.

Last edited by mart; 05/22/19.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.