Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Don’t doubt Karl’s recollections of such. I started out at $8 per hour carrying hod for bricklayers, within 12-18 mos I was making $10 per hour on the north side of Chicago. Granted the union bricklayers were only making around $12-13 per hour, but as far as I know I was one of the few non union guys on a fair sized project.

Union rules were 2 laborers for every 3 bricklayers. But I took care of 4 guys solo. Every time the boss hired another laborer the crew ran them off, including the foreman’s son 🤷🏻‍♂️ Every time they ran one off the boss gave me a raise.

Bought my first brand new truck for cash for $4400, times were good for me. This would have been 77-79

same here started laying floors for my dad, he owned a flooring store, i made 8 an hr. i learned from several good installers. I was running my own crew at 17. when i turned 19 i moved to Dallas, my buddy who was the same age and i got the contract on several new condo projects. his mom worked for the builder. we had teo other crews working for us we made 50 cent a yard off everything they laid plus what him i laid with our helpers. we were making between a 1500-2000 a week each back in 83. then i got married and first wife couldn't handle living up there.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter