My buddy John spent the winter of '44 up on the Sigfried line. His assessments were based on the 30-06 vs the 8X57. However, they may be applicable here.

His opinion was that the two rounds were pretty much identical in their effects on the receiving end.

He did give the edge to 30-06 for night use. He said that, in the snow, you could just put a white, wet rag over the barrel of an M1 and do a pretty good job of suppressing the muzzle flash. With the K98, nothing they seemed to do would reduce the flash. As a result, he could recover his eyesight quicker and send off a round back at the spot where he saw the flash faster than the Kraut on the other side could recover his eyesight.

This came in handy one night. John's squad was dug-in in the floor of a wrecked barn. There was fresh snow and a full moon. The Krauts decided to try to infiltrate the lines with SS in full snow camo. It was perfect except for the black suspenders of the ammo belt. It made a perfect X over the center of the chest. John and his buddies spent the night aiming at the X; they dropped countless Germans. The Krauts never saw where the fire was coming from, due to the trick with the wet rag. In the morning, you could walk across the pasture on the dead bodies without touching the ground.

I have used a 30-06 and the 308 WIN to take whitetails at first and last light. The flash from both is substantial. I shot a doe a few years ago in the last minute of legal hunting. I pretty much had to trust the deer was down. I have yet to do so with my Kar 98; to date, all my shots have been in broad daylight.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer