Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Some folks have gone as far as building a 308 on a long action. My long 700s are both 30-06.

But I have put Wyatt's magazine boxes in my short 700s, giving them an internal length of 2.99". That helps, and with the 208/210gr I've loaded them to mag length, with 49gr RL17, and made 2620 fps in a 22" bbl.

The 215gr Berger I tested was loaded to 3.10" OAL and single loaded them. Truthfully, I don't mind single-loading for long range, time is not usually a big deal, and with a few rounds on the stock pack, reloads are pretty fast.

[Linked Image]

I've also dabbled with the 225gr Hornady BTHP in the 308, loaded long. Another great LR bullet with mass, and a BC in the upper .6's. This was another single-load proposition for me.

[Linked Image]

I share this info not to be argumentative, but mainly because the OP asked for comparisons in all areas. I felt for long range, this input seems relevant.

Thanks! It looks like a lot of fun, actually. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”