Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I posted this in another forum too. I got to thinking about how my new to me Model 700 Classic .270 (22") likes both the 150/160PTs. In fact, it shoots both to 2950fps, and both under .75" (way under) for 3 shots. It shoots the 130 Hornady very well too, so lighter game is covered. My other rifle is another Mod 700 Classic in 338WM. At 66, the biggest animal I will ever hunt again is elk, and cows at that. Even a big cow is not as tough as a big rangy Bull. The "meanest" ( can hurt you) I will hunt animal is big hogs. In between is deer/antelope, etc. So, now that my .270W shoots a 160PT as fast as most 7mm Rem Mags, as far as elk/hogs goes, what advantage does my 338WM really give me? Bear in mind that I don't take shots at game past 375yds, and my "average range" for elk here is 190yds! The 338 Mod 700 is longer ( 24") not too bad, and a bit heavier, but still, not that heavy. It does recoil more, especially with its 250/2800fps loads it likes! Would I be a fool to just use this .270W and maybe sell/trade this 338 for, say, a foul weather/heavy snow day rifle in, say, a 35 Whelen carbine (or 30-06) pump as a backup? I'd like you honest opinions, especially from elk hunters/hog hunters.

It depends. How accurate is your .338 and can you still manage the recoil well enough to be effective with it? If so, I'd suggest keeping it. First reason, I think a guy needs to have a reliable second rifle in case the first has some sort of failure. They're man-made and failure is possible. Second, during "recent" component shortages, some components were available after others ran out. The common stuff was what went out of stock first. I found it handy to have various cartridges, bullet diameters, powders, etc so I could always find something I could shoot. I knew a lot of people who stuck to 2 diameters like .224 and .308 to keep things simple who wound up no guns they could shoot because .30 cal bullets and .22 cal bullets were the first to disappear from the shelves. I think having SOME level of variety is a good idea.

If your .338 is not very accurate or if the recoil is starting to bother you so it interferes with accurate shooting, then it could be time to sell it. I would still replace it with something ... maybe a 7mm-08 or .308 so you're not overly reliant on a single gun and single bullet diameter and use a slightly different range of powder burn rates. (Don't forget to pick up a couple cartons of primers.)

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...