I got one for my sister back in the 80s when she was moving up to Alaska. It shot pretty well. Not MOA, but about 1-3/8" at 100 yards which was plenty good for moose and caribou. She and her kids have used it ever since, and it seem to do the job fine for them all. They have killed everything they ever hunted with that rifle and done it with shots from 20 to 350 yards. Never had a problem.

My nephew just came done to visit, and left my home yesterday. He told me they were almost out of ammo. The last time they all came down to Wyoming to visit I loaded them up 250 rounds of ammo for the 88 and all they shoot in it (so far) is my hand loads. (50) 180 grain Partitions for moose and (200) 165 grain Partitions for caribou and deer.

When I did the load work-ups my impression was #1 the rifle shot best with mid range loads (4895 and 4064 powders) and #2 although the bolt is strong enough for hot loads, high pressure is bad for the use of this rifle because the lever action has limited strength for it's primary extraction , and when the shells get a bit sticky from higher pressure, you have a hard time getting the lever to throw down easily. A slow lever action is a rifle devoid of one of it's most desirable traits.

So I say NO, don't use high pressure loads. Not because the gun would "blow up" but because it makes the lever action very un-handy and doesn't shoot as well.

Besides, the difference in a high pressure load and a standard pressure load in a 308 Winchester is non-existent in the game fields as far as the animals are concerned. I NEVER load a cartridge hot to get it to go faster. Some shoot best at high pressure, and those I'll load up, but not to get the speed. I do that because they shoot more accurately (as long as they are under a pressure that can cause problems)

My idea is simply this:
If I need more energy or killing effect,(by making a larger diameter or deeper wound in the game) I pick out a more powerful rifle.
I don't try to make a rifle more powerful than it already is.

Last edited by szihn; 06/27/19.