Originally Posted by jwall
M D

I’ve read a few times about 99s having weak extraction. Maybe some ? I don’t know
but my 358 W didn’t suffer that.

Jerry

The gun my father had was purchased in IIRC 1958....and he was foced to carry a wooden ramrod with him to extract empties......due to poor extractors.....When I got the gun, I replacrd the extractor in it which solved that problem..BTW....to this day that gun has not fired 100 rounds.....it's actually better than the day it was purchased new.

So let me tell the story about how I got mine....again a Model 99 in .308 Winchester.....I all started in 1965 or there abouts.....I proudly purchased a Savage/Fox deluxe 12 guage side by side.....vent rib, ejectors....the works.....I was one proud lad. Sadly the right barrel refused to eject the empties and the problem was obvious.....there was a heavy burr in the chamber rim that wedged the case tightly to the chamber wall......So I returned the gun to Savage for repairs.....weeks later I got the gun back and promptly went to the gravel pit to have some fun. However now the right barrel refused to fire the round...repeatedly it was bang.....click.....bang..... click.....so again I returned it to Savage. Again weeks later I got it back and again took it for an outing.....It fired both barrels this time....and did so beautifully.....except it also fired both barrels with the safety on.....this created some gnashing of teeth but my patience was holding firmly.....so again the gun was returned to Savage. and again weeks later I got it back......and again out for some shootng. WOW....it ejected fine....fired both barrels fine, and the safety worked as it should.....and then the sickening sound of "BOING".....the vent rib came off.

Once again I returned the gun to Savage with (as politely I could) and demanded they either refund the retail purchase price or I would be satisfied if they sent me a Model 99 in .308 chamvering......well weeks later here it comes.....my new Savage model 99 deer rifle. I hunted with it for a few years until it locked up on me and once again I was forced to return it to Savage.....weeks later I got the gun back and promptly traded it off.....never again to see a Savage firearm enter my house.

I have chased a somewhat similar route with both Weatherby ad Ruger.....but not so extensive as my patience won't allow a third strike. Needless to say, there are no Weatherbys or Rugers in this house either. I've had no issues with my Model 70 rifles.....my M-98 guns, My Sako L-461, CZ my older Remingtons, SKB shotguns, Mossbergs, and one fine Howa.....I'll buy Brownings too....pretty good stuff.