Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm considering a (obviously) used Winchester model 88 in .308 Winchester. What is your experience with their accuracy, reliability and overall strength?.....Can it be safely loaded to 65,000 Psi?....not that I want to do that but handloading can at times offer some surprises and I would not handload for a Savage 99 in the .308 Winchester so if one wants a lever gun in .308, it seems the Winchester 88 is the way to go.....?

Dad bought a new (1955 mfr) Model 88 in .308 in 1957.My oldest boy has it now as his boy is left handed and it will be his in time. I also used it for several years.

For the first forty years or so it was a 1.5-2.0 inch gun. The rear lug got loose on it and the stock cracked. I had it repaired and the recoil lug and an area around the front stock screw was bedded. This work really improved the accuracy. With most loads it is a consistent 1.5 in three shot group gun. With its favorite IMR-4064 load it often shoots better than one inch three shot groups.

I have loaded for it with 110, 150 and 165 grain bullets. When I worked up loads I usually ended up finding a load it liked at near max book loads. I have had no issues with it and case life is very good. My 99E Savage did have some issues and as others have suggested I reduced those loads. I have not needed small base dies either. I did need them when loading for a Model 100.

The trigger on our Model 88 is very good as compared to what I have heard about them. Dad had a local smith work on it.

The only reliability issue we have had was related to the magazine. The spring got weak. I replaced the factory spring and follower with one from a Washington firm, Wisner's. I believe the older Wisner was a Winchester rep whoended up buying some Winchester parts and tooling during one of the corporate changes. I also bought an extra magazine from him. They no longer list the spring and follower but still list the magazines for .308 based cartridges. They even have some with the original Winchester logo and arrow stamping. Pretty reasonabler at $50-60.00. I suspect they would still provide just the spring and follower if asked.

Hope this helps.
Gary

http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/winchester-models-88-100/

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 06/27/19.