Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Crow, I'm thinkin' the reason so many reject the shotgun approach is either they never used one, or they are terrified what their wife will do to them if they spatter blood and guts all over the furniture.

Just guessin'............

I’ve seen what a shotgun does to humans up close. 00 buck, breaching, and bird shot. It’s not the hammer of Thor that old dudes like to think it is, and multiple shots to incapacitate is relatively common.

That isn’t a knock on old people, it’s just a statement that for some reason those above around 40-50 years old tend to have some weird and misguided ideas of what guns do.

00 buck up close does do significant tissue damage. It’s also horribly slow to reload, takes more skill to reload, has big enough recoil that shooting multiple shots well under time constraints takes considerable skill, if it’s a pump it’s more complicated to put into action, AND still must be aimed inside a house.

The moment you raise a gun to another human- you are shooting a human. EVERY single organization that shoots humans inside of rooms regularly and does it well issues a 5.56mm AR based platform.

A properly setup AR15 is the easiest to shoot well weapon made- has little recoil, is simple to operate, easy to aim and hit with when using a red dot, with good ammo causes non survivable wounds that can incapacitate immediately and will reduce risks of over penetration, reloading is a near non issue in a home invasion, and if you do need to reload is extremely easy to do so, can easily and ergonomically mount a white light, and is relatively inexpensive.

Pistol rounds suck. Putting them in a rifle doesn’t change that, yet now you have a gun as big as a short AR15 without the lethality.

300 BO subs suck in humans. Better than a pistol, but not by much. Super sonic 300 BO can be very good, but really no better than good 5.56mm

All rounds cause permanent hearing damage inside a house when not suppressed. I would not choose a less capable platform due to a misguided belief that one will save your ears. Dudes did CQB with M4 including shorties without ear pro for years. Stupid- yes, but they did it and could communicate.

Did you read the post immediately prior to this one?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain