Originally Posted by mku140
So my wife has struggled with accurately and reliably shooting a pistol but has seemed to do exceptionally well with an ar. I would like to put one together for her to keep at the house. Im considering 5.556 or 300 blackout with 10.5 or 16" barrels. Thoughts on muzzle blast, over penetration, recoil, barrel lengths and caliber pros and cons etc.? Thanks

This thread has gotten off on a rabbit trail. If I were setting one up for my wife I'd do a short barrel, AR pistol w/ suppressor. Either caliber mentioned has merit. In 5.56 I'd go with Black Hills 77grOTM, in the .300BO I'd still have to do some homework. I'd also consider the .300Ham'r. More than worrying about hearing damage I'd worry about terminal performance. A red dot or reflex sight and a weapon light with a pressure switch would also be on my list. Functional familiarity is key regardless of what weapon is chosen. Under the stress of this type of confrontation, people break down to whatever level of training they've practiced to. Muscle memory and function will rule the day. Given the amount of practice I'd lean toward the 5.56.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson