Originally Posted by jimmyp
David, we can agree to disagree. Most folks have a 9mm pistol, 45ACP, 380, 38 special sitting in the house as a home defense weapon, others have a shotgun, some have a 10.5 or 11.5 or 7 inch braced ar pistol for use in the home, but for my uses a 10.5 inch 5.56 AR pistol weapon while it may be more handy and yes its more powerful than a 9mm, 45ACP etc but its just not what I would use. A 16 inch Colt 6920 with a streamlight and an aimpoint maybe yes, but not a short pistol type ar.

A lot of interestingly comments and opinions. A lot depends on your definition of "home." Home to some is a 650 sq ft apartment with a common wall that has 2" of air space between the sheets of drywall. Home to others might be a 3,000 sq ft residence with a large yard on an acre or two - with closest neighbor waaay down the road. "Home Defense" to some might mean stopping the intruder at the front door or the burglar in the bedroom, while to others it might mean stopping the threat at the gate to your driveway, which is 80 yards from your front door.

At the end of the day, in all likelihood what you have within reach is what you will probably use. With that said, we have 9mm, .45ACP, and .380 pistols strategically located in the house (wife's .380 carry pistol & my .45 carry pistol + a 9mm thrown in for good measure). We also have an AR 300 blackout pistol loaded with subsonics but with a handy mag of supers (and with a can in jail) at the foot of the bed. We live on acreage and don't have close neighbors. For our circumstances, we are pretty confident that we have the bases covered.