Originally Posted by MedRiver
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A note concerning re-boring that I'll offer is that if you care about the aesthetics of your rifle you will want to handle the re-stamping of the new caliber yourself. Some reborers make quite a mess when it comes to re-marking, XXXXing out the old caliber and hand stamping the new. I milled a shallow groove which removed the original caliber marking and re-stamped it myself. Other options would be to have it laser marked or have your engraver handle the task.

I had that concern with my JES Rebore. I told him to not stamp out the original .30-06 markings as I would have it stamped by my local smith. As requested, he didn't mark out the original .30-06 but, unfortunately, he still stamped "35 WLN" above the .30-06 stamp. I wasn't happy when I saw that but figure it was a break down in communication so was at least 50% my fault. I have plans to get both markings milled out but haven't done anything with it.

Overall, I am happy with the rebore as I really liked the factory contour on my Mark II Ruger and it handles great cut at 20". Sight acquistion is quick with my NECG ghost ring and Williams fiberoptic front (remington front ramp). It probably would make sense to have it lapped as mine fouled a bit more than I like but I built it for an open sighted close range deal so not too worried as long as it shoots minute of black bear out to 150 or so, which it does. I may actually scope it and use it for elk this year, will be interesting to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it with glass on top. My 20" barrel launches the 225 TSX at 2600 +/- and the 225 Sierra at 2630 +/-. I doubt the extra 1.5" on your build will gain you much with a .35 caliber bore but it may get you a little closer to 2700.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice!

Semper Fi