Sounds like he’s talking about the Methodist decisions this year and split from UMC. Some churches are finding out they don’t own their property, etc. it’s held by them for the interest of the UMC. I’m fairly active in local UMC but have been blessed with some abilities to personally support Youth Trips, etc. so without being an official member get to cast aspersions from the couch.

I understand that they sided with their growing community on key issues. I understand they don’t want to split the larger church on ideological grounds if that’s the right phrase. One might argue they don’t want to lose 50% of their circle of influence. I don’t support the parent structure pulling the “We own your physical property” card.

It’s not a popular theory here but I’m of the stance if I can’t reach a group and others can I don’t judge. I’ve been the Recipient of Grace way beyond what I deserve and don’t deny anyone else the same. It’s not my place to rank sin and I’ve no right to do so. It’s all one root sin anyway. I like what others have said. We try to over complicate the simple. Or as I’ve recently heard Rationalize = Rational lies of which I’m extremely guilty.

Of course, ideology is probably a first world problem. With the benefit of multiple viewpoints based on experience and somewhat fortunate, or at least a semi-stabile Financial situation, I don’t feel I am experienced enough in the hardships to say what the path looks like. I hope your part is illuminated but regardless of how it plays out remember one thing.

Your church is the people and not the place. If your not focused on making Disciples that make Disciples your potentially just part of a social club. Easy to talk to, harder to hold that standard in a non-judge mental, empathetic way.