My bank had what was billed as a “merger of equals” several years ago. The institution is been a part of was clearly making an acquisition in spite of the linguistic niceties. Everyone knew that; our signs went on all the offices, our HQ became THE HQ, and all senior posts were quickly filled by members of our culture.

I tend to believe all “mergers” go this way; one group needs the “union” most and has to acquiesce, sacrificing their culture in order to survive. Not sure it’s good or bad (I think it’s probably both) but it is what it is.

I’ve never been through an ecclesiastical merger but can’t imagine it’d be fun. Likely one heck of a growth experience tho. A lot of sacred cows that need slaughtered in my life, and heaven knows I’ve grown through learning to accept the sacred cows of others.

Church is all about a community in the process of being redeemed and transformed into the likeness of One who took up a cross upon which those who would benefit from His sacrifice hung Him up to die. That’s what we sign up for so, like it or not I get to sing songs printed in the bulletin rather than Psalms from the denominational “red book” under my seat.

High class problems but annoying as hell wink !