Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The family has a part to play but safeguards should be in place.

Yes, but they usually won't, and that's where the safeguards need to come into play.

Case in point......one of my neighbors. With the exception of one son, their kids are druggies. One of their sons is a convicted felon, and got caught with a house full of guns and drugs.......which, according to the laws, meant he should have been locked up again for quite a few years. But, did it happen.......nope, because he happened to work for a guy who had some political pull, and he got the charges reduced. However, while the perp was out on bail, he was living with his parents, and deer hunting on their land......during gun season, when he was not only supposed to be not allowed a gun in his possession, but not allowed to live in a place where there was one. Of course, his family ignored the law

Same family, one of the daughters married a vet, supposedly suffering from PTSD, but who couldn't hold a job because he couldn't pass a drug test. Dude would walk around armed, shooting towards the neighbors homes, threatening them, while the family did nothing......nothing that is except get mad if the neighbors called the cops.

In most instances, the families of a lot of these mass shooters knew something wasn't right with the person, but they didn't want to see the person get in trouble. It didn't matter that the person was a threat to society, all that mattered to them was to protect the person from being put in a nut house, where they probably belonged. I would have no problem seeing the family members that protect these people being charged with a crime also. Of course, proving that they knew something was wrong, might be hard to do.

I agree with much of what you say, but question how you can conclude “most families”?