I have the Lyman GP “Hunter” Model in .54 Cal (Fast Twist) I was somewhat disappointed with this one as well, But after some Modifications, and tinkering with it i have learned to like it. The Crescent Butt Plate on mine was Sharp Enough to Gut, and Skin a Deer, That was 1 of the very first things i changed, I removed it, Rounded the Knife edge off, Reblued it and installed a Leather Lace Up Pad. The Rifling in my Gun is SHARP.
Back when I bought this one I really wanted a Green Mountain LRH .54 Cal Barrel (1:28 Fast Twist) To fit in a TC Renegade, or .54 Cal Hawken Stock, But the 54 LRH Barrels were LITERALLY Scarce as Hens teeth, I could find the .45s and 50s all day, any day, But NOT 1 single .54 GM LRH in nearly 3 Years of DAILY searching! I finally gave up and Bought the Lyman Plains, 1 week after Buying the Lyman i found a GM LRH in .54 Cal on Gunbroker, Brand new from an Estate, I hit the BUY IT NOW 👍

If it wasn’t for my Lyman GP “Hunter” Shooting so well, i could EASILY Let it go and never think about it again, But this Rifle Shoots INCREDIBLY Good, as good as ANY Muzzleloader i own (and that’s a BUNCH)

[Linked Image]

This is the kind of accuracy i get from mine at 50-60 Yards, from 450 Grain Bullets to 650 Grain, Hard or Soft lead it doesn’t matter, The Rifle FLAT OUT Shoots 👍 It will Hold it’s own with ANYTHING i have
[Linked Image]

Like i said, mine has SHARP Rifling, Looking down the Bore resembles Shark, or Alligator Teeth 😁 Cuts through my Patches and Scars the Jag
[Linked Image]

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown