I keep hearing about the older Lymans being of such quality, from fit and finish to outstanding accuracy that guys sometimes bought one rather than spaend the extra money on a custom gun. I don't dispute that notion at all, I only wish I had gotten one when they were truley worth the money, time, and effort myself!

As I mentioned in earlier posts, mine wears an L&R lock, (I love it), and a replacement barrel from the recall thing. As for sights, I have the Lyman peep set up,and from the few times this GPR shot accurately, the peep set up was worth the cost.

My muzzleloaders were mostly caplock untill about 7 years ago when the bug bit me to try flints, and I like them alot, just not this GPR. I had all T/C's, refitted with Green Mountain barrels, and they shot right out of the box no problems. T/C decided to get away from sidelocks before I got my first flinter, hence the Traditions Pa Pellet, which also was a good shooter right off, no real break-in, just find the perferred load, go out and harvest deer.

The fire lapping I did on the GPR helped quite a lot, but the rifle accuracy still has some consistantcy issues to work out, and just before getting on the forum I used some Turtlewax rubbing compound, lapping by hand, hot water bath, then Turtlewax polishing compound followed by another solid cleaning. As of now, I'm allowing the Birchwood Casey Barricade to thoroughly dry before seeing how it did.....once Barricade dries, there isn't any need to do any more than load, run a single dry patch down to remove excess lube from the patch, and fire. That manages first shot accuracy matching the following group.

If this works out, I might just have a dependable flintlock.......if not, I'm VERY open to suggestions, or using it as a tomatoe stake next spring!

Last edited by Old_Man; 01/12/20.

Youthful enthusiasm is replaced by old age and treachery!