Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by TheKid

And for the record I’ve cut open some pretty big pigs looking for the “Shield” and haven’t found anything that a 50gr Btip from a 223 wouldn’t penetrate. They get some pretty thick hide over the shoulders but I’ve never managed to find the long touted cartilage shield on one.

Agreed. I’ve never seen this shield that people speak of. Maybe the fat layer? I’ve shot more pigs through the head than I can recall, usually with a 223. None of my experience has lead me to believe that there is any magic in killing a hog.

An ounce of birdshot at 10’ is nothing to bet against. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to shoot a pig in the head with it at that range if that’s what I had.

I've never skinned a hog to look either, shot four wild hogs last spring here from the back porch, from 509 to iirc 579 yards with my old heavy 300 win mag, went up to check em out and did some penetration testing with my 40 cal and 200gr XTP handloads, shot the first 200lb dead boar straight in the shoulder from 5 feet, exit, went home and it occurred to me I didn't know where the 'shield' was, the next boar was about 225/250 lbs, black Russian nasty roguey sombitch, shot him through the shoulders at 5 feet, then put one tight behind the shoulder, again, two shots, two exits, I have no concerns about getting a hog or black bear to leave me alone with that old P226 and 200gr XTP handload.

Trump Won!