358 is a Fine round. 338 Federal also. If me I'd run 3 bullets: Pistol bullets like 158s for plinking, they do hell on jugs to 200, yes fall out at 300. For hunting game, a 225 Sierra for deer, likely work on most other game. If you want some insurance, a 225 Partition would be my ONE LOAD for anything up thru Moose, large Bear.

Nothing wrong with either of the above mid-bore rounds to 300 on game. I PREFER a higher BC and SD so 225s for me in a 35 on game.

Scope? Nothing over 10x for your use, if me. 21" is a great length, no more needed, a bit less blast than say a 19-20, but splitting hairs, speeds will be similar.
Handling is what you want, and shootabilitiy which is affected by balance. I would skip any suppressor or brake, ear plugs and muffs at range, plugs in field are easy so your ears will do just fine, even if you forget the plugs when hunting. More of a boom than crack, and most powder burned in that larger bore size.

That said, Yes, a 308 in a sporter chopped at 21" will get the same jobs done, but the larger the game, I would be a bit more inclined to go larger bore to 35.

35s do put some serious hurt on game, on impact....large exit if needed for a large but short blood trail. Good hunting.

Last edited by 65BR; 08/22/19.