My brother and I have 358 Wins. His is a plain jane Ruger Hawkeye and mine is a BLR. Neither one of them are slouches in hunting ability. Sure, they aren't 300 magnums, but he runs his with 200 Accubonds at 2620 and I use the 225 Partition or Sierra at 2475. We both have the incredibly simple Burris FFII's on the guns, his is a 3x9 and mines a 2x7. With a tiny bit of ballistic calculator math it is really pretty easy to hammer 10" steel at 400 yards and that is with a 150 yard zero on the main reticle. So, saying it is a 100 yard cartridge is crazy, my slug guns were worse in all ways and they didn't have troubles knocking deer over to 150 yards. Not a knock on the 308 either, great cartridge, but if a fella wants a hammer that digs deep enough and makes big leaky holes and desires a 358 why would someone talk him out of it? I mean, it's not like it hard to make or find brass and the darned things are EASY to load for as well.

If you put a scope with dials on it, it'd be even easier but we just wanted these for holding/stalking/walking guns that are different, hit deer hard and aren't horrible to shoot.. But a 100 yard cartridge it is not..

Semper Fi