Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by drover
My experience is with ground squirrels rather than edible tree squirrels. On body hits ground squirrels die quickly, and sometimes rather dramatically, when hit with hollow points - whereas hitting them with round nose they usually make it back to their hole to die a lingering death or to be eaten by their brethern.

The ground squirrels in the west are smaller and quite often a round nose will go through them with little apparent damage but the hollow points disable them.

drover

True and when you have a 500 shot day at ground squirrels scampering everywhere you look - even had them run between my legs sitting on my shooting stool , you see what kills and what is just ok .
CCI SV HP - like 3-4cents each back in 07--08 - just shoot them through the chest and they are dead right htere .
Yep, It's the same with tree squirrels. I've never shot ground squirrels but have been an avid tree squirrel hunter for almost 50 years. When I was younger I'd shoot 125-150 most years. The past few years I'm down in the 70-90 per year range but that still adds up to several thousand over my lifetime.You kill that many, you see the differences and learn what works best.