I've had the privilege to take 3 Burchell's in South Africa ( northeast of Joberg) My first was standing in the shadows right at 100yds and he was very camouflaged. My friend/PH wanted me to use his 300WM/Barnes 180 XBT on him. I held for what I "thought" was the Sgt chevron, thinking he was broadside, ended up just barely catching the front lobe of the left lung as he was kind of twisted to the right. Bullet did not exit and the hide closed up on the 30 cal entrance hole. He took off with the herd of a Baker's Dozen. Only time he left blood besides a few drops was when he coughed a clot, right in the middle of the trail. 3 hours later and almost 6 miles, we caught up with them again. This time I had my 35 WAI/250X and at 150yds I tried to Texas Heart shoot him ( why isn't that shot ever called the Washington DC shot?) and popped him right alongside the backbone. He dropped "but got right up" and was running but slower. I led a little and popped him in the shoulder then, that bullet exited. The near spinal shot bullet was recovered almost 3 ft. up. Impressive animal! 2nd zebra was quartering toward me, shot her on the point of the shoulder at 125yds, 340W/210 XBT. Broke the shoulder, did not exit,she ran with the herd and briefly stopped in some trees around 75yds ( me running after her!) I head shot her. Bullet exited but did no damage to hide! 3rd Mare was 250yds off, this time with the 35WAI/but 200X, broadside and I aimed at the base of the neck. The bullet dropped a bit more than I wanted, but cut her jugulars, exiting with a quarter sized hole. She ran poring blood by the buckets it looked like, about 50yds and crashed into a clump of around 7 3" diameter Camel Thorn trees "and broke them off!! She was guesstimate around 600 pounds. Solid animals, like shooting a 'stump", ha. All these were on 3 different trips from 1998 to 2002. I always advise people going to Africa...you "have" to shoot a zebra! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 08/28/19.