Originally Posted by AMoore141
Leo.......As a physical therapist and avid bowhunter I have worked with many archers (several TV hunters) over the years that both had surgery and some that wanted to avoid surgery.

* my advice* if you really wanna be an avid archery hunter then go see ortho have an MRI and most likely have surgery then rehab back for next year. I've done it with people over and over again.....definitely possible.

Adam

Leo,

having had major repair work done to both rotator cuffs, both involving biceps tendons also, I can recommend following Adam's advice.

My first one, I wanted to avoid surgery so went the phys therapy route for +/- 6 month. That was on my left (bow) arm. At the end of the 6 months or so my PT told me I had full range of motion back, but I better go see the ortho doc and get the MRI as I couldn't get a gallon of milk up to shoulder level even. Dr told me after the surgery it took him two and 3/4 hours to fix what he normally does in 45 mins to 1 hr. I was back to archery level in a year or less..........but kept up with the exercises well after the PT sessions ended!

Second surgery 6 years or so later on the other shoulder (draw arm) , in which I heard the biceps tendon pop, and was back shooting arrows in less than a year.

OH, just FYI, I shoot 45 and 55 pound draw weight traditional bows and have no problem with the draw. My bows only weigh about a pound each, strung and with string silencers, so holding them up is a lot easier than with a compound.

I'd second Adam's suggestion to see the ortho doctor and get the MRI as soon as possible. You may lose a season or so of using the bow, but it's likely going to be worth it if you do need surgery, rather than trying to get into bow shape without it.

I can also recommend this, to go along with the rubber bands and other exercise your PT folks will give you. Just be sure to get their OK BEFORE using it. I worked great for me as my work kept me away from my bow for days at a time.

http://www.bowfit.com/

Good luck

Geno

PS, a hint, if you're near one. Find a good sports ortho Doc that specializes in rotator cuff/shoulder stuff. My first was a team doc for a university with top level baseball and basketball teams. The second was at a University with a major sports medicine program. They seem to know their way around this type of sports injury,

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?