Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Possibly, how do you interpret Colorado's laws regarding self defense and use of deadly force? If you were attacked by a man wielding a steel pipe what would you do?
mike r

Your legal hypothesis that " his future was dictated by his past actions", doesn't work in this state. Colorado law is clear, if your opponent disengages from the conflict, you have to stop all aggressive action. If you continue, you are now the aggressor, and the one who will need a good attorney.

Not a legal hypothesis at all, normal human reaction to a known threat. The aggression did not stop until the shooting commenced and was finalized in a couple of seconds. The question remains, what would you do if attacked in a similar manner? And yes I have a very good lawyer, and avoid Colorado.

mike r

The most important weapon is the one atop your shoulders.

As a civilian, he's holding a large, unwieldy weapon and doesn't know how to use it. So I'll work to create space, stay out of it's reach, and if possible, put something, like a vehicle, between us. Let him swing it a few times and wear himself out, and either walk away, or after one of those big ungainly swings, close and disarm.

If things got out of hand, you do what you have to, but nothing more. Shoot until the threat is stopped, which does not include shooting an unarmed man in the back as he's walking away.

As a cop, most of the same principles would apply. The difference is I'd have less lethal options available, and the opportunity for backup, preferable someone who could give him a bean bag to the face.

You make many assumptions about the attack unsupported by the 5 relevant seconds shown in the video. Your plan to be afforded the time and opportunity to make space and let the attacker wear himself out is fatuous to the point of ridiculous. The cop was obviously attacked by what was determined to be and appeared at the time to be, a deadly weapon. The perpetrator created a deadly force situation by his action. Whether the cop shot the bg too many times will be determined by those w/ more evidence than is available here at this time. How many times should the cop let the bg hit him while waiting for backup, which less lethal weapon should be used when attacked by a deadly weapon.

Again, to all those responding; If you or a family member are attacked by a person wielding a steel pipe what is your response plan? The person w/ the pipe is attacking, not just threatening. You perceive that you or other innocent persons [to include your family] are in imminent jeopardy of death or great bodily harm. You have 2 seconds to assess and respond.

mike r

That's why it's beneficial to have good mental, hand, and foot skills so you have options other than just plugging the guy full of holes, which, is seems like the only response you will accept.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell