Picked my .308 up today. Pretty nice wood. Wood to metal fit is pretty good, except for the butt, which is too proud. Easy fix, if one doesn't mind refinishing! Machine checkering seems perfect; maybe best I've seen. Metalwork is fine too. Overall, I think it's much nicer than a $400 walnut-stocked rifle would be expected to be. Weighs just a smidgen under 7 lbs.

Then there's the trigger. Crisp, but very heavy at over 7 1/2 pounds on my Lyman scale. Replacement spring on the way!

Already had the scope rail on hand plus a set of Warne rings. An offset hammer spur is mandatory for scope use for certain. Henry sells one, but I had an old Marlin one that fit after a little file work. Still a tight fit, and a scope with a bigger eyepiece and/or a power change ring probably would need higher rings than the lows I used for the little Leupold 2.5. The gun comes up nice and should be a nice little woodswalker or stalking rifle. Don't think I can recommend it as a kids' gun with the very heavy hammer-cocking effort and trigger pull. The new spring should help with both.

Earliest I can get to the range is Wednesday, and the new spring is due in before that, so I should be able to dial it in without dealing with the heavy pull. Pics maybe tomorrow.

What fresh Hell is this?