For years, my main deer battery consisted of a 30-06 and a 35 Whelen. I finally retired the Whelenizer, because it wasn't any more devastating than the 30-06. It cost more to run, and it had demonstrably more recoil, but it did not kill deer any better.

If we need a quick function test at deer camp, there is a small pond out about 150 yards from the back of the house. If you aim for the far edge, you get a nice fountain of water and the bullet ends up going into the muddy bank on the other side. We've sent all sorts of stuff out there.

This is not a scientific test of deer-killing ability, but you should see the plumes we send up. 30-06 165 grain vs 35 Whelen 200 grain? The 30-06 wins. 30-06 165 grain vs. 150 grain? It's hard to tell. 300 Win Mag vs. 30-06? The 300 Win Mag sends up a serious plume-- biggest I've seen.

. . . at least until a few weeks ago. I was sighting in my Buddy's Ruger Model 44 Carbine. Yikes! You talk about a geyser! This was with a less-than-MAX load of H110.

Say what you will, but the most devasting rounds I've ever seen at close range were Remmie 12 GA Sluggers-- never saw a deer escape with a round to the chest.

The only deer I ever saw picked up and thrown by a hit? 54 Hawken on a small doe at 60 yards.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer