I’ve never really seen much of a difference, other than my .25-‘06, 6.5x.284, .270 Win, .270 Roy, .284 Win and 7mm Roy never provided me with a tracking job. Deer or elk.

I now have three animals taken with the 6.5 Creedmoor, all DRT from modern, rapidly-expanding bullets. This newfangled combination is very impressive.

Others like .260, 7-08, .308, .30-06, .300 Roy, .338 Federal and .340 Roy always dropped stuff either DRT or they fell within sight of where they were hit.

Only the .338 Win Mag has ever left me with “extended” tracking and both those times were devastating hits with large exit wounds. I thought I was going to lose one of those bulls but half a day of tracking finally found him a very long way from where he was hit. Both his shoulders were smashed and his lungs were both hit so he was definitely killed by the shot (250gr Nosler Partition), but he made it a long way. I suppose that larger exit from the .338 slug helped with tracking because we found him. I still can’t help but think if I’d hit that bull exactly the same way with my 6.5x284 or .270 Wby he would have dropped in his tracks, though. I’m still glad I had the larger exit wound given the circumstances.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?