Interesting thread--thought not nearly as interesting as those who chose The 6mm Cartridge decades ago and for some reason believe nothing can ever improve.

Among the interesting things I've "learned" here is the scarcity of 6mm Remington brass is easily solved by making it from .257 Roberts brass--which is perhaps even scarcer than 6mm Remington brass.

Have also discovered that the practically identical 6x47 Lapua is vastly superior to the 6mm Creedmoor.

My experience with 6mms started in 1974 with what turned out to be an essentially new Remington 700 BDL sporter, purchased for $80 from a co-worker who'd gotten it as a gift from an ex-boyfriend. The price included the very good leather sling Remington included with BDL's back then, and all but two rounds of a box of new ammo. Over the years I killed enough stuff from prairie dogs to mule deer with the rifle to know it was VERY accurate--and unlike many hunters back then, also eventually figured out the .243 really would kill deer very well. (Can't remember how many articles I've read saying the .243 was "marginal" for big deer.) Also have had plenty of experience with other .243's over the decades, and it still works great.

Since then have handloaded for and hunted with a bunch of 6mm cartridges, from the 6mm PPC to .240 Weatherby. Have now owned two
"affordable" 6mm Creedmoor factory rifles, both of which shot a wide variety of handloads more accurately than any of the .243s I've owned--which have includes some high-end factory and custom .243s The velocities are about the same, which isn't surprising since the powder capacity of .243 and 6mm CM are very similar. So if you're a handloader, why not get a 6mm Creedmoor?

If you're not a handloader, a .243 makes more sense. But if you're probably not reading any of this anyway--unless you just want to complain.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck