Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
I am going to go a bit smaller...

My current favorite 6mm is the 6X45. I have an AR with a 20" Black Hole Weaponry barrel on it that is a great coyote or deer gun. I was able to get a very good deal on a bunch (10 boxes) of the now discontinued 80 grain Sierra SSP (single-shot pistol) bullets. They shoot great out of the AR, I am able to get good velocity with them and they perform very well on game. When those are gone, I won't hesitate to use the 90 grain Nosler BTs or the 92 grain Cavity Back MKZs. For the type of hunting that I do (mostly small plot or field corners for meat deer), it is just about the perfect round. Add a suppressor and I can watch the bullet impact through the scope.

I like it so much that I just picked up a Remington SPS Varmint in .223 for cheap with the intention of making it into a lightweight 6X45 repeater that I can throw the suppressor on an put into the hands of my young nephews for deer hunting.

Excellent choice. I have owned a few 6mms, but all I have left is one 243 and two 6x45s. The 6x45mm may not be the best choice for plains hunting - but then, neither is a 30-30. Still, for 200 yds in, it is the bee's knees.

I have managed two deer and a couple dozen coyotes with this cartridge. It's accurate and easy to handle. It doesn't burn much powder and cases are very cheap. I used Speer 85 gr. BTs, but am going to "go big" and try a 90 gr. Speer.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]