While the conversation has moved away from Tenkara, I thought I'd throw this out. It's my latest rod purchase and germane to the small stream topic. Consider it a fixed line equivalent to the Cabela's CGR when it comes to value for money.

Nissin Pro-Spec 3207 6:4 zoom rod. A shosh over 2 oz and of higher quality than other rods not being manufactured in Japan. Zooms from 2.7 to 3.2 meters (9-11 feet). Casts a level #3 fluoro line no problem and I don't doubt a #2.5 would also work. Kind of nice in streams with a lot of over head cover, where a 12 footer is a headache. Also available as a 7:3

Purchased from Amazon Japan, shipped to the USA.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B010NWEWA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently just over $100 + about $15 shipping. Add a few more smaller items to spread the cost of the shipping and its a true bargain. Directly compare it to the TenkaraUSA Rhodo at $250.

Now as to the "Tenkara is not fly fishing", let us remember that in the early days of fly fishing in Europe, where our US traditions arise for the most part, there were no reels. Everything was "Tenkara". Dame Juliana Berner and Isaak Walton were using fixed line rods. Google "pesca Valsesiana" to see how a traditional fixed line style of fishing has remained unchanged in Italy for centuries.