I have one of the VX3 1.5-5x20 with the #4 reticle. That is definitely a visible reticle. In very low light, 30mm tubed / 24mm objectives scopes to my eyes do much better at target visibility. Reticle visibility, again to my eyes, this reticle is one of the best.
I do not have a 50 or 56mm Schmidt and Bender. I do have a couple of 42mm ones that I have hunted with the past couple of years. 1.5-8x42's, 1st focal plane #4's, FlashDot illumination.
My opinion, a very good low light scope, for the distances that I can identify a legal moose rack.

From my little informal comparisons, I think the Swarovski Z6, 1.7-10x42mm with the Plex reticle does well in low light. I find this reticle very usable and I have no biatches about the optical view. So far, I really like this scope.

I have some 50mm higher end scopes but frankly have put them on rifles that I don't really use, The "what if" rifles. So far, for the distances that I will shoot the 42mm's work. 42mm objectives definitely have an advantage over the straight tubed. The 42 / 50mm comparison, is not as noticeable difference to my mid-20th century eyes.

All eyes and perceptions differ. In my opinion, looking through scopes in decent daylight or a store room tells me nothing. Unfortunately, actual use in the conditions that I will be using them is the truth teller.

For optical view, reticle visibility, and versatility I am satisfied with the Swarovski Z6, 1.7-10x42 Plex. I am a set & forget scope user and range limited. I cannot speak to its "toughness". It is not a military grade sniper scope.

Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Leupold told me they want two hundred bucks for a rerticle change, Ouch. I have a German #4 in a VX3 1.5-5x20 and ya can't miss it. I had a Leupold Post-Duplex and like it and the Fire Dot 4 in the VXR line is a good reticle. My Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 has the illumination option and it is a more positive and better thought out illumination nob then the Leupold's I have had. The Forceplex reticle on the Nightforce is ok, but I would of liked something like the Firedot 4 reticle. All of these reticles allow hits to 500 yards, which takes care of my needs for moose and caribou.

I am fortunate to have moose pass through my 2.5 acre lot on a regular basis and have been able to sight on them in dark timber with many scopes that me and friends had. A VX5 2-10x42 had very good low light glass, but the wide Duplex left me wanting, even with the illumination option.

I think a reticle change would help and feel it is more important then expensive glass that may only be 5% better, but if ya got the cash.

I would like to look through a big Schmidt $ Bender with a 50 to 56 mm objective just to see how good it is, but would not want to carry it around or pay for it.

Last edited by ldmay375; 10/06/19. Reason: Lack of proof reading