Originally Posted by Orion2000
Following back up on this. Past 2 nights did some side by side comparison here on the farm, at dusk.

First night compared a VXR 1.24x4 scope that I sent back to Leupold to have a Fire dot 4 (German #4) reticle installed, and, VX6 1-6 with what looks like a 4A reticle. Had a small deer walk out at 380-400 yards just as the sun went down over the horizon. While I like the thicker reticle wires of the VXR, I could make out the deer in a plowed field against wooded background for 5 to 7 minutes longer with the VX6. VX6 also had significantly wider FOV. Finally, VX6 fast focus ring turned much easier than the VXR. VX6 gets the nod. Will check to see if the Custom shop can install a thicker reticle in the VX6 when they are back in operation.

Second night compared a 10 year old VXR 4x12x40 with Fire Dot Duplex (Leupold #111238), with a new VX3i 4.5x14x40 Duplex (#170703). I really like the side Focus on the new 4.5x14. However, lost the reticle in the treetops at 420 yards about 7-8 minutes before I lost the tree tops with the VXR 4x12. VXR reticle was still visible, without illumination, long after I could discern what I was looking at. Was thinking to put the 4.5x14 on a rifle build for combination target shooting and hunting. However, given that the VXR is easier for me to get behind, and the thicker wires are easier on the old eyes, I think the older scope gets the nod, at least for my use case.

Kinda interesting the nuances you notice when you get the scopes out side by side to compare. So, for me, overall low light performance: VX3i < VXR < VX6. However, I like the subtension of the VXR reticles over both the VX3i and the VX6 reticles, given the limited samples I have on hand.

All visual comparisons done without illumination. Also, the VX6 1-6 is about 1.5" longer than the VXR 1-4 , so more latitude on eye box adjustment on a long action MRI Sako 691.

Interesting to hear you put the vxr over the vx3i. Curious if you have tested a vx3 next to a vx3i and notice a difference.

You'll shoot your eye out