Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Good luck with that. Have recovered cup-and-core bullets from deer when using the .308 Winchester. In fact once recovered a 225-grain .338 Hornady Interlock Spire Point from a whitetail buck that weighed around 150 pounds field-dressed. It was a quartering-away shot at around 200 yards with a .338 Winchester Magnum. Found the bullet under the hide of the far shoulder.

totally believable as I doubt that no one can guarantee exits with any "run of the mill" hunting guns and bullets.

Last year I shot three elk with .308 diameter TTSX …..two of the elk were cows and both shot with a .300 H&H at 175 yards and 165 grain TTSX, and the third animal a rag bull taken at 200 yards with a .30-06 and 180 grain TTSX....only one exited as I found both the 180 grain and one of the 165 grain bullets quite well mushroomed in the elk. All three shots were in the central rib cage area and at least in theory, all should have exited......and yes elk are bigger than deer but the point is still made.

I would venture that exits are more a matter of shot placement than bullet construction. I believe the best bullet for exits are the Swift A-Frames...spendy, yes, but I've never recovered any of them and that includes from Kudu, Elk, Gemsbok, and deer.

I'd still be using them but there's more to hunting than exits.....Monolithic will some day be the required bullet and I'm committed to learn the ropes with them now.....they are darn fine bullets.