Originally Posted by kalbrecht
Shot a fork horn mulie for the freezer behind my house this morning. Used a reload with a 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet. The bullet entered high in the ribs behind the shoulder and broke ribs on the far side but did not exit. Without a exit hole there was no blood trail and because the buck went down out of my view I had a heck of a time finding it.
I would appreciate anyone's advice on a different bullet that would give a reliable exit on a mule deer. I'm hoping there is something better without going to the expense of a monolithic or a partition. Thanks

If you are handloading your own, you should already know about SPS. The partitions are not really that expensive when you think about it. That's the route I'd go. Either a 95 or 100 gr partition and you'll get excellent results from your 243... If you are cheaping out and looking for good results, you can also look at the 100gr. Hornady interlock sp flat based bullet. Those penetrate and hold together pretty good in the 243...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA