I posted earlier in this but after reading through it I thought I'd add a little

Cast bullets
Big bores with cast bullets are a great option for pelt hunting. Back the dakotas when fox were worth a $100/each I killed quite a few of them with a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. with 170gr flatnose cast bullets, dead fox nice hide with two small holes. I paid for my 22 Hornet with that rifle.

Lead frees

Quite a few years ago WA was making noises about going lead free so I started experimenting with them. If the change came I wanted to be out hunting not sitting at home knashing my teeth over the stupid decision. I started with the Barnes 62gr VG, while accurate out of my 243 and 6mm-204 they left huge exits softball+ sized. The 55gr NBT LF worked the best for me out of the 6mm-204 and it and the 58gr V-max leaded (the only V-max I use on coyotes) are the best of the lot for KILLING coyotes and saving pelts. I have shot the 50gr Barnes VG out of my 22-204 and they work well but the sampling is small.

50gr VG killed coyote

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

They seem to work.

This winter I hope to try some of the 35gr NBT LF's out of my 222 Rem here on our smaller southern coyotes.

Last edited by erich; 10/11/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders