I don't believe in spending a lot of money on a dog. I've bought a few, but never paid much, and won't. I guess if I was into bird hunting, or running hounds, I'd feel different. I like dogs, and have always had one or two around, since a farm is not a farm without a good dog. But, I just see no need in spending big bucks on one, when there are free puppies to be had everywhere......and in most cases, the mixed breed free mutts make better dogs. As to having an inside pet.......not into that.

I'm also pretty tight when it comes to taking one to the vet. I'll do whatever is absolutely necessary, but won't spend anymore than I have to. My son's chocolate Lab went blind at two years old. He has spent thousands of dollars on her, treating what was a very rare viral infection. The dog has no life. She has to spend her days in a pen, being let out on occasion to run around and bump into things that she can't see. She may be a good dog, and I'm sure there is an attachment there, but if it had been mine, I'd had her put down rather than subject her to a life of darkness.