- used Glock. Hard to argue with that... Prices are low. Qyality is proven. Goodies are everywhere. I own a Gen3 G22 refurb that I paid around $250 for a few years back that someone kindly broke in for me. By wearing out the frame. Now its perfect.

- Canik TP9. I've just started playing around with mine. Shoots well. Love the trigger. Definitly not a "block" in my hand. Paid $200 used (99%?) at a local store and it came with the goodie box.
I'd buy another tomorrow at that price and believe it or not I'd rather have the V2 version than the SA I have. I suddenly like a DA/SA when the trigger is this good. I wouldn't have said that until the Walther/Canik trigger.

- FN. No experience but some of my shooter friends do and have a very good opinion of them. I hear that they hold up well at the rental places too.

- P320. Shot one a little. It suits my hand and I like it a lot for accuracy and easy shooting. Trigger is easy enough but doesn't really have a "feel" to it. At least not to me. No opinion past that.

- M&P9. No experience but I hear a lot of very different things.

- SD9. A real dark horse, but... while the Sigma flat out sucked, the SD9 (or the "value" version SD9VE) seem to be a lot better. The SD9 needs the Apex trigger upgrade if you ask me but I've handled a few lately and I was very surprised at the fit. Not SIG-like but pretty good. Much, much better than a Sigma.
So I started reading around and found also surprised but positive feedback on them. They are truly low cost - think $150/175 if you look around, plus $55 for the Apex setup if you want it.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....