My 99 shoots 39.5 of 4064 into about 1.3" at 100 with 150 grain Remington Core-Lokts. I have loaded the same charge with Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets and also with 150 grain Hornady Spire points.
The Hornadys and the Noslers look a bit prettier but the old Remington Core Lokts shoot the tightest in my rifle so far. I tried a few 180 grain loads too, but the 150s are about 2X more accurate. I had 21 of the old Sierra 150 grain RN bullets in an old mostly used-up box, and those were the most accurate bullet I have shot in my 99 to date, shooting under 1 MOA.

I also used some Hornady Flex Tip expanding solids and they did well grouping into about 1.5 MOA. I killed an antelope with one about 5 weeks ago. But I can't say any of the other bullets I have tried so far are as accurate as the old Core-Lokt in my 99 except for the Sierra Round Nose. . And having used Remington C-Ls in the past in 300 Savage, 308s and 30-06s I know they are fine for deer and gave me good diameter wound channels and also full penetration. They are not "super modern" but neither is the 300 Savage.

When I was a young boy in the early to mid 60s my dad had a 99 in 300 and it was the rifle I started hunting deer with. I guess I have come back to the place I started.
Now I own 2 of them, a Savage 99 and the Remington 81 I just killed my 2 white tails with last Monday.

Last edited by szihn; 11/08/19.