Today I saw the first ice fisherman out on the local lake. If there is two inches of ice I would be surprised. Two days ago there was someone shooting ducks off the same lake. Monday, the lake was clear of ice due to wind piling it up on the shore.

I can't believe some people put catching a fish over not only their own lives but the lives of those who would be called to save the fool. I was called upon to handle these emergencies a few times in my career and I never let the opportunity pass to give the survivors (not all lived) an earful of how stupid they were. I get there can be unforeseen occasions such as pressure ridges, schools of carp, and other factors causing sudden thin ice but a few days of cold weather does not make for safe ice.

I texted my neighbor about the guy as my neighbor is on the volunteer fire dept. I told him to let me know if there was a call and I would grab my ice rescue bag and meet him at the lake. We might be able to get a rope on the guy before he goes under and make body recovery less dangerous.