Originally Posted by dubePA
Shelby was one of the idols of a misspent youth, back in my gear head days. Never got to drive a Cobra, did get to ride in the original 289 version in the mid 60s and later, a 427 SCCA legal one. Wow!

Last interview I saw with him before he croaked, he was yakking about his latest efforts with the Mustang. IIRC, he said they were getting 800 HP out of the engine. When asked what he thought the limit was, he said probably a thousand?

A true American character. I rank him up there with Chuck Yeager and a few others. As for the GT40, even given its age, still one of the best looking cars ever created.

You must be tuned into my thoughts 100%.

wink

This is about all I have left from back in the day. An X-wife threw out all my trophies, photos, and memorabilia out of spite. She was certifiable and caused me problems until the day she died. It was one of my favorite events and didn't allow for screw ups. Anyone who has ever traveled the old Donner Pass highway will know what I mean.

Everyone in our SCAA region wanted to be Carroll Shelby...total hero worship.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by luv2safari; 11/16/19.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”