Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pex can stand freezing, but what about any valves, and such?

Now you're back to the heat tape/Pex issue, all valves that are in areas known to be subject to freezing must be heat taped.
I've seen Pex wrapped with foil and then heat taped, not so sure how that works out.

Depends on where you live.... Here in the far north of Louisiana, it's a good idea to use heat tapes, but not really needed. We just put the foam insulation on the outside pipes and they dont freeze. Bury lines 6" in the ground and they are ok. I do have heat tapes on the well pump and lines, but only because they are harder to wrap. Heat tapes are easy. Lots of people just use a light bulb to keep things from freezing.

Again, it depends on where you live.

Sure, requirements differ with region.
The OP is in Alaska, Wabigoon and I were discussing his home in NW Ontario when the need for heat tapes was mentioned.
In Alaska 6 to 8 feet below ground can be considered winter safe, in Montana it's often 4 to 6 feet. At my Florida home my supply line running to the house is 16 inches deep.

I missed that the OP was in Alaska, my mistake. I wouldn't know where to begin trying, to keep things thawed out up there.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21