Originally Posted by kennymauser
Jag,
How do those cranes taste? I have never seen one dead before. Where are those pics taken?
A hard core waterfowl hunter friend of mine said he never takes his dogs with him when goes crane hunting. Something about cranes being hard on dogs!

Interesting pics!

Thanks, Kenney. New hunting bud from La and I got those cranes just east of Stanton Texas on some shallow salt lakes by I-20.

Each breast filet is about the size and shape of an open, flat, mans hand. To me they taste like a cross between a steak, venison and mild duck.

They are much keener eyed and spookier than geese. We Lucked out getting these 3 as I think they were flaring from the deeks. After an hour of flares I walked over to bud hiding in the sunflowers and cockle burrs 20 yards up the little point we were out on and he had no gloves on. Crap.

People cant believe how wary they are. Like, wear tan/brown boots if you arent in blind. No green or grey camo in tan weeds. He had feaking orange 1/2 inch squares in his shotgun sling on the wide, black shoulder strap. Crap.

We should have had our limit of six.

Headed back to truck with him carrying dekes, ducks and such I had all I could carry with 2 on gun barrel and my pack on the butt stock to help balance and the other bird over my left shoulder. I was glad then we didnt have 6.

They are nice eating but it's not like you are missing out on fried squirrel, crappie, shrimp or oysters. smile

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/28/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin