Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a 1909 Argentine (marked "Berlin") Mauser. Many wonderful custom guns have been built up on this action, and many have been rebarreled to 30-06. You can get into one for ~$400 in good condition with basic wood... use the budget balance to upgrade the stock.

Here is an example of one. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/838073328
If the bore is good (ask the seller), probably the first two things I would do is shorten and recrown the barrel and install some medium height base-and-rings with a decent scope. If it shoots to your liking, put the next dollar into a blue job and start shopping for a stock.

I have one of those that is now a .280 Remington. work by Lawson in Tucson and stock by Sterling Davenport. a 24" barrel and will push 160 gr. Speer Grand Slams (old 2 core style) into .75" all day long at 2910 FPS. I've been told it's too pretty to take hunting. It wasn't built for just lookin' at.
Paul B.

There's a world of difference between your Sterling Davenport rifle and the one offered on Gunbroker. I doubt yours has the scope base holes drilled in the wrong place as that rifle does.