Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by TheKid
What should I build it out of Hunts? I’m a pretty fair heavy fabricator and a decent pipe fitter, but I’m not sure on stone masonry.

Recently installed this in basement.......although NG.......

Removed old coal/wood stove....for me too much mess & fuss...NG is cheap & clean

Built the hearth frame from 2x12s....covered it with hardy backer board....had some left over

cultured fake stone....just enough I may add...the actual top is 2" x 16" pavers....the flue?

Used the existing 8" flue but added a 4" flexible metal approved gas flue & wind proof cap

The shown 6" black is just decorative...NG supply was in room above so connection was easy.....

Have two vents in ceiling that let the warm air flow upstairs..along with a ceiling fan to keep air moving

As mentioned...the hearth raises stove off the floor.....better visual & easier to feed & maintain

Suggestions are ceiling fan along with a fan in stove itself to keep air moving from the stove

Laying the cultured stone is easy....just time consuming....rocks stick like glue with Type S mortar & backer board

Linky........stove I used........

https://www.woodstoves-fireplaces.com/majestic-oxford-cast-iron-stove/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Your setup would not be legal here... Can't have that 90 degree bend in the chimney... Nor would I put those items so close to the stove.. Any stray ember and that basket's, ah, 'tinder'... smile

This is not a great pic - the camera lens is a 14mm so it looks like things are a lot closer than they are - plus, this stove is a double-wall style on the sides with a shielded fan shroud in the back.. The brick wall behind doesn't get much warmer than about 100-110 degrees.. The previous stove was single-wall and that brick wall behind would store a lot of heat to radiate back into the room later.. The pad is 6'X6' and tiled with stone.. The chimney here is 24' in total length - and straight up through the roof..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!