Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by GrandView
1970 VW Beetle................low mileage survivor. Very similar to the 1968 I brought back from Germany when discharged from the USAF.

[Linked Image]

I learned how to drive in a '68 just like that.

The little Beetle is a pretty driver-friendly car.............as long as you remember a 50 year-old economy car does not have the safety of a modern vehicle.........from several angles. My 31 year-old daughter proclaimed it "very primitive". True enough I guess. But as our first new car in 1968........my young bride and I thought we were in pretty tall cotton when we bought that Beetle in Germany.

They've become quite popular as collector cars, and even daily drivers. Prices vary wildly,and they're really popular on the west coast. Good Midwest copies are harder to find...............winters and salty roads are not friendly to the bug. I searched locally for two years before price/condition coincided. Also was aided by two previous owners who kept it stored during winters, kept up maintenance and originality, and drove sparingly for a combined 42 years. So.........I'm the 3rd septuagenarian to continue that premise.

Last edited by GrandView; 12/13/19.