Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by moosemike
Can't believe I'm the only model 94 vote. I must be a dying breed!

May BE ! wink

I haven’t had one since 1974. shocked.

Never thot about replacing it.

Jerry

I understand that Jerry. I'm almost there myself. I love the gun but the 30-30 cartridge has caused me some rodeos. None worse than this year. I had a broadside 50 yard shot on an 8 point buck a couple weeks ago and I guess the brush deflected my bullet. I dont know. At the time I was sure I hit him. Anyway he started to run and I fired a follow up hitting him too far back. Only found that out later. I found no blood and no evidence of a hit despite looking for an hour. A couple hours later a guy came over to me and asked me if I fired the shots that morning. I said yes and he said the buck is dead 3/4 of a mile down the trail. Shot in the hindquarters. It was my buck but there was never evidence of a blood trail.
A week later my wife shoots a Doe with her 30-30 and she tells me she rolled it and shows me where. I could find no blood for a good while and had to make circles looking around until I started finding pin drops. We found the deer mostly without help of a blood trail by just following the general direction. It was shot in the shoulder and did require a finisher.
I've shot most of my deer with a 30-06 and have never had a rodeo or lack of blood trail with that cartridge. I may just be done with 30-30's at this point. It's not the first time I've had no blood trail with one.

My advice if you like lever action guns and want to hunt with one...get a 45-70! Nice blood trail every time and regardless of what your hunting you will never be under-gunned LOL

Marlin 1895 Guide Guns are about as nice as it gets for a lever imho

GOD Bless America