FINALLY! After 35 to 40 days of getting up at 4 AM and pursuing the wily wapiti I finally lucked out this morning. The weapon of choice was a 99EG 308 with a Weaver KV, 150 grain Hornady SST. She was angling slightly away from me at about 150 yards. I shot from a kneeling position. The bullet entered the ribs, angled forward and destroyed the lungs. She went about 150 feet and croaked. This by far the latest I've killed one. The weather was all wrong earlier. Too nice. It has to snow to push them down where we old guys can get to them. The temperature was minus 8.
ancient Savage and dead wapiti. She's big and about 3 to 5 years old. Lots of good meat.
[Linked Image]
ancient Savage, dead wapiti and decrepit hunter.
[Linked Image]
Tom Watt pine cone handled knife and dead wapiti. I told him the knife was too special to take hunting. He said he made them to hunt with so here it is. It's really sharp and made the gutting much easier than usual.
[Linked Image]
My hunting buddy John got one too. He and Bret who got an elk ten days ago are using the patent pending Harper-Royal elk hoist to get John's elk in the back of the battered ram. You can see my elk's hind feet sticking over the side of the bed and tied to the running board mount. The running board fell off a few months ago. It got bottomed out too many times.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/19/19.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]