Originally Posted by JoeMartin
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Well that is actually my deer that I killed this evening. Joe is smarter than me (probably actually not as lazy as me) when it comes to posting pics here. Since photobucket went away I haven't taken the time to figure the whole picture posting thing out.

It ain't much of a deer really and I would have much rather killed a big fat doe than that little buck, but I've been in a drought lately and I was in serious risk of going without venison for the next year which hasn't happened in a long, long time.

The gun is much more interesting than the deer. It is a pre war checkered F. I've been looking for this gun a long time and just recently found it this summer. Somebody else D&T'd it. Other than that it is a fine specimen and with the M8-6x I put on it a fine hunting rig and I am glad to have taken this deer with it. It is a 300 and deer was about 60 yards away looking directly at me. He was in the thick stuff and he wasn't going to present a broadside. Put a green box 150 right into his brisket and he travelled about 50 yards without any lungs. I love the 250, but that is not a shot I would have attempted with that rig.

For many years when I was working in the agricultural and fertile lands of SE Pa. I had the opportunity to hunt big deer. Now I hunt mountain bucks and we have some big deer down here because they have the benefit of being able to age without being run over by an 18 wheeler, but they are tough to find in these vast mountains of Va. They have so many places to hide. I've got 2 more buck tags left and our season runs to Jan 4th so there is still a chance.

Anyway, had to drag this beast a country mile (or 2) up and down those mountains to get him out. With my 57th birthday coming up, I am thankful to still be able to hunt solo and get my deer out of tough spots.

I love deer hunting.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~