I've been guiding for 35-years. Dont waste your time with references. I have no idea why thats still the first thing some recommend. An outfitter wont give you a bad one....I could tell you some of the stories Ive heard about the reference thing but it would take to long. I wrote a piece about this for Bowhunter magazine a few years back....bottom line do some research. Look for guys who have been in business for a long time.....better yet find an outfitter who has guides that have worked for him for a long time. Outfitters who need to hire new guides every year have things going on you dont need to deal with. Unfortunately the outfitting business has become a big money business. Guys are buying outfits, hunting the heck out of them for a few years, then selling them. A family business that has been in the family, like father to son is always a good sign. Get the names of the guides and talk to them. In most cases you are going to be spending all your time with them anyway. Get a feel for their knowledge and personality. Nothing worse than being in an unhappy camp.

I've been guiding for Ceaser Lake Outfitters now since 1994. Two other guides have worked there longer than I have. My son has been with them for 12-years now and my son in law has been guiding for them for 8 years. First class outfit all the way. In this business looking for a cheap hunt is the biggest mistake you can make....you get what you pay for. Im not blowing my horn, just being honest. I've been doing this for a very long time, each and every year. I know just about every outfitter from northern BC through the Yukon. Feel free to send me a PM, and I will do whatever I can to help. I hate hearing stories about guys who paid a lot of money for a hunt that turned into a disaster.