Originally Posted by Fireball2
This hasn't changed my work, (landscaping contractor), it's shifted it to a different direction

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These are great tools for cutting pipe in trenches

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We cut with a hand saw or a hack saw at one time. They haven’t figured out a way to do away with muddy ditches yet.

Water heaters and boiler controls are mostly electronic now. Very few standing pilots except in residential heaters.
Originally Posted by Plumdog
I started Plumbing and Heating in 1971 also. All the underground was cast iron. I have a very new Reed chain soil snap cutter I've been trying to sell; guys don't know what it is! Most recently before retiring I worked as a residential boiler serviceman. Had to keep taking classes and continuing education to keep up with the electronics involved. I kept a paper map in the truck to find where I had to go...the helpers would just use GPS; then look up the solution to the problems on U-Tube. Glad I could retire!

The young boys where I work have no clue how to make a lead joint. They know how to use snap cutters to cut cast iron. There is a couple that don’t know to use the big die head to thread 2 1/2 to 4”” steel or the 6 to 8” die. I have no idea how to install pex pipe.